Tuesday 22 July 2014

It's not going to be easy, but it's gonna be worth it

Tuesday again and it was tuition day. However somehow I felt that the spirit and enthusiasm of the class was heightened judging from the class participation. They seemed more interested in the class and involved in the lesson. This is possibly due to 2 very simple questions that I asked at the start of the class.

The moment they stepped into the class, I asked each of them "Did your parents ask you to come for tuition or were you the one who wanted to come?" Second question "On a rating of 0 to 10, 0 being you don't give a shit about what is happening in the class, 10 being you really want to learn something out of the class, what would you give?"

Simple as it is, yet it had a deep impact on my teaching approach. In my opinion, undoubtedly I am paid to do my work as a tutor. As long as a student steps into my class, I have the duty to ensure work is delegated to him/her and I attend to his/her educational needs. However according to my own principles and understanding that they are already young adults who understand their own priorities, I will dedicate more of my energy and focus to those who are truly interested in learning. Should you be uninterested in learning, I will not expend extra energy on trying to ignite the passion of learning in you. Instead, I will use this energy to teach those who sincerely want to takeaway some things from my lesson. I am only 1 person, who have this amount of time and this amount of energy to teach the class, which has that many people and that much amount of work which needs to be cleared. 

Thankfully, even though there were a few tutees who were sort of forced by parents to come, all the students rated their passion to learn in class as a 5 and above, even up to 9 and 10. This was heartening for me as I could see their passion in learning evidently displayed in the lesson after the questions. It was quite late of me to ask this question given that I am only left with 1 lesson with them but I hope they maintain that passion in learning and hopefully this will motivate them to work harder:) 1 student even told me that he passed his recent Maths test and I was really happy when I saw the broad and proud smile on his face:) Such joys and sense of accomplishment in life is what makes me feel like it's all worth it and makes me want to improve more so that I can make an improvement in their educational paths. 

Credits: http://www.iliketoquote.com/img/35.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment